Monday, July 16, 2018. Minneapolis, MN.
The 13th Annual FLOW Northside Arts Crawl showcases local artists and new local investment.
Thursday, July 26, Friday, July 27 and Saturday, July 28, 2018 Next weekend, FLOW Northside Arts Crawl will once again join with artists, businesses and organizations to shine a light on the North Minneapolis community through the arts. FLOW 2018 includes an estimated 300 visual and performing artists at 25 different studios, galleries, theaters, businesses, indoor and outdoor vacant spaces over 3 days. FLOW was named “Best Art Crawl of the Twin Cities” by City Pages in 2017, as attendance has grown from 1000 in 2006 to 10,000 in recent years.
This year FLOW centers activity on a distinct Northside area each day:
● Thursday July 26th - Plymouth Avenue from Russell to Penn Avenue, with the inaugural exhibit at the new Copeland Gallery in the THOR Companies Headquarters as well as art installations at the Minneapolis Urban League, UROC and Homewood Studios.
● Friday July 27th - Broadway Avenue from Logan to Penn Avenue, a highly social Friday evening with a Freedom Fridays H-Cubed music showcase plus Farmers and Artisan Market at Freedom Square, a free screening of local film Risking Light at the Capri Theater, free wine and beer tastings at Broadway Liquor and a night-capping FLOW mixer at Wilson’s Image Barbershop and Situation Room. Slow Roll Mpls will host a Slow Glow Flow Roll light-up-bike-parade at the end of Freedom Friday, leaving Freedom Square, winding through the Northside and ending up at the FLOW Mixer.
● Saturday July 28th - W. Broadway Avenue from Girard to Lyndale, and across the Freeway along N. 2nd and W. River Parkway. A highly concentrated, walkable, self-guided tour including the expanding Juxtaposition Arts Campus, pop-up galleries, restaurants, taprooms, live art, curated spaces, public art and lots of art for purchase. The FLOW Mainstage & Marketplace has a new location in front of the newly opened Sanctuary Covenant Church, with local acts and national headliner Tony Terry.
FLOW is free and welcomes the broader community to attend, enjoy and buy art!
Maps, schedules and information can be found on our website www.flownorthside.org.
Up to the minute details check Facebook Event https://www.facebook.com/events/195213791303526/
Photos & Interviews available on request.
Metro Transit offers free rides, get downloadable transit passes for all 3 days of the event:
● Thursday https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=153184301929
● Friday https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=153184307354
FLOW and 2018 Northside Highlights:
LMP EVENTS and THE WEST BROADWAY COALITION is proud to announce TONY TERRY as headliner on the FLOW Main Stage (Aldrich & W. Broadway), 6:00 pm on July 28, 2018. Tony Terry is an R&B/new jack swing singer from Washington, DC. In 1987, he signed a record deal with Epic/CBS Records. Tony Terry has been wooing his fans all over the country for decades. His smooth enchanting melodies have captured the hearts of female and male patrons alike. His style transcends age groups and his multi-selling hits, “She’s Fly,” “Lovey, Dovey,” “Forever Yours,” “Everlasting Love,” “Head Over Heels,” “When A Man Cries" and the now classic – “With You" to name a few, continue to sell, and have become timeless classics.
$65 million dollars of property development that include the arts.
For more than a decade, FLOW has demonstrated that the arts bring economic activity to the area while also ensuring authentic, community centered development that celebrate and lift up the culture of North Minneapolis. FLOW this year highlights new and future Northside property investments with community goals and arts integration in common. Some of the more high-profile examples include:
● Recently opened $36 million dollar THOR Headquarters building including the Copeland Gallery
● $5 million new Sanctuary Covenant Church hosting the FLOW Mainstage and many other community performances throughout the year
● The Capri Theatre $10 million expansion breaking ground this fall
● Juxtaposition Arts $200,000 temporary art plaza with skateable elements this fall and $14 million campaign for a new building on the site in 3-4 years.
West Broadway Business Improvement District
Is a special service district founded through city ordinance by Broadway area property owners and The West Broadway Business & Area Coalition. Since launching in 2015 the West Broadway Business Improvement District has leverage our local tax base for additional investments of more than $250,000 in artist-designed physical improvements, installations and amenities along the West Broadway Corridor. These include Northside artist-designed utility box wraps, bus benches, planters, garbage & recycling bins, 5 current mural projects, 2 public plazas and a pop-up storefront space.
FLOW 2018 Performances & Events
The Capri Theater, 2027 W. Broadway, will host a free screening of Risking Light Friday July 27th, 7:00pm. The film tells the story how Mary Johnson, a longtime Northsider and employee of PCYC, moved from her experience of unimaginable grief over the murder of her only child when he was 21, to a place of profound compassion and forgiveness that today includes a powerful bond and friendship with O’shea Israel, the man who murdered her son. The film was produced, directed and written by local filmmaker and Emmy Award-winner, Dawn Mikkelson. It includes two other moving stories of people who went through inconceivable loss and trauma and chose forgiveness as their path to healing. “The ripple effect of forgiveness is clear in all of these stories,” said Mikkelson. Risking Light played to sold-out audiences and was a Best of the Fest selection this year at the Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival. In addition to more screenings across the U.S. this summer, the movie makes its international premier at the Melbourne Documentary Film Festival in July. Stay for a conversations with the director and Ms. Mary after the film.
FLOW 2018 Mainstage & Vendor Marketplace is in a brand new location this year, outside the new Sanctuary Covenant Church, 710 W. Broadway Ave. The Mainstage will kick off at 11:00 am with gospel music and the talents of performers from the Church’s congregation and then showcase everything from spoken word to hip hop to global roots music by North Minneapolis artists. Headliner Tony Terry has already taken to social media to let his fans know he’s coming to “The FLOW” as it’s known in the community. Local rising star LaKame, whose single “Million Kisses” is in regular rotation on MPR’s The Current, will be opening for him at 5:30 pm.
● Homewood Studios, 2400 Plymouth Ave,
Leon Sorkin: Portrait of North Minneapolis c. 193 and 1940
● Copeland Gallery, THOR Companies Headquarters, 1256 Penn Ave
ROHO Collective group show opens the new building
● University of Minnesota UROC 1256 Penn Ave In the Spirit of our Mothers: African American and Afro Cuban Artists Explore the Spiritual Traditions of West Africa.
Red, Black & Green: Nature Photographs by Dudley Edmondson
● Juxtaposition Arts Gallery, 2007 Emerson Ave N.
Visual Art Literacy Training Student Show
Pop Ups & Non-traditional spaces
● 3 FLOW Pop-Up Galleries – 1101 W. Broadway, 921 W. Broadway & 827 W. Broadway showcasing the work of established artists like Bill Cottman & Howana Sullivan Janzen alongside young and emerging Northside photographers, painters and mixed media artists
● Pop-Up Show, WBC Storefront, 931 W. Broadway – Pop-up retail space featuring FLOW Artisans, clothing lines etc.
● K’s Deli - micro gallery, Wendy’s House of Soul restaurant and sidewalk busking
● Wilson’s Image FLOW mixer
● Freedom Square Freedom Friday Community Concert with Joe Davis and H-Cubed
● Breaking Bread Café Pop Up Dinners with Guest Chefs, Friday 7/27 & Saturday 7/28 6–10:00pm
Art Making & Community Engagement
● Wilson’s Image, 21241/2 W. Broadway Ave, FLOW mixer
● Breaking Bread Café Pop Up Dinners with Guest Chefs, Friday 7/27 & Saturday 7/28 6:00 – 10:00 pm
● Juxtaposition Arts, 1108 W. Broadway, live screen printing, make your own buttons
● Northside Healing Space, 2100 Emerson Ave N. 12:00 – 5:00 pm, Black Joy artmaking and self-care activities
● K’s Deli - micro gallery, Wendy’s House of Soul restaurant and sidewalk busking
● NEON, 1007 W. Broadway, Paint Party Events with Kenneth Caldwell
● Minneapolis Urban League, Artist Lead tours of his 25 portraits of African American leaders in
● Slow Flow Glow Roll - Friday July 27th meet up at 8pm at Freedom Square, ride by 9pm, bring your own lights to decorate your bike or get a creative light kit from Slow Roll MPLS for $25 and join the parade of glowing bicycles through the Northside to the FLOW Mixer at Wilson’s Image.
For 25 years, Carifest celebrates Caribbean cultural heritage with live music, food, vendors and a parade featuring traditional costumes. For more information and advanced tickets, go to https://carifest.org.
FLOW Northside Art Crawl is a program of the West Broadway Business and Area Coalition and NorthMPLS with partners including the West Broadway Farmers Market, Northside Fresh, LMP events, Appetite for Change, City of Minneapolis - Community Planning & Economic Development, Sanctuary Covenant Church, The Capri Theater, Homewood Studios, Juxtaposition Arts, The Healing Space, Les Jolies Petites, Plymouth Avenue Arts Studio, Asian Media Access, THOR, UROC, Minneapolis Urban League, C.Caldwell Fine Arts Gallery, KMOJ, KBEM, North News, Carifest, and with generous support from Northside Achievement Zone, Metro Transit, US Bank, LISC/State Farm, US Bank, U Care, McDonalds, Northpoint Health & Wellness, MPR, Jordan Area Community Council, Hawthorne Neighborhood Associations, Northside Residents Redevelopment Council, City Pages and Clear Channel Communication. Additional partners include Broadway Liquor Outlet, Wilson’s Image Barbershop & Stylists, Wolfpack Promotionals LLC, H-Cubed, From Death to Life, MidAmerica Talent, Cookie Cart, The Episcopal Church of Minnesota, Northside Economic Opportunity Network, K’s Deli/Wendy’s House of Soul, Merwin’s Liquors, Mpls Photo Center, Boom Island Brewing, Pryes Brewing, Emerge Community Development, JADT Group and others.
FLOW Northside Arts Crawl
Thursday, July 26th (Plymouth Avenue) 4 - 8 pm
Friday, July 27th (Broadway from Logan to Penn Ave N) 6-10pm Saturday, July 28th (Broadway from N 2nd St to Penn) 11am–9pm
Founded in 2006, FLOW Northside Arts Crawl is both a community celebration and premier art event in North Minneapolis. FLOW is a non-juried, self-guided tour of studios, galleries, theaters, commercial and vacant spaces over two miles of the West Broadway corridor and other Northside hubs and neighborhoods. From b-boys to ballet, graffiti to graphite, rap to rhapsody, fine artist to artisan, practicing to professional, FLOW showcases the great art being made every day on the Northside.